Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Advice From a Person Who Doesn't Celebrate Christmas

Share
Zara and I already had our holiday, but we know Christmas is coming up for a lot of others. Though I'm sure you've already done your shopping (right?) I still have a bit of advice about Christmas shopping. It's pretty short and sweet: Don't break the bank.  Every year I see people breaking their necks, sometimes literally, to get to Black Friday sales to get the perfect gifts. There is never anything wrong with giving gifts, but please remember that your children and family members will not disown you just because you didn't max out the Visa.

What I've learned in my 6 months as a mother is that everything is a toy to babies. Zara will play with anything within reach, and she's have a great time too. She loves to rip up napkins, rip up paper and rip up cardboard boxes. She loves playing peek-a-boo with herself using a blanket. She loves to play with my hair whenever it falls in her face, and she loves to play with her ribbon. My husband gave me a gift wrapped up in a bright purple ribbon. I was going to throw it away, but she got her hands on it and now it's become another one of her "toys."

Okay, I know what you're thinking. "My 10 year old don't want no ribbon!" Sure he doesn't, but there are still affordable gifts that your child and your wallet will appreciate. And don't forget to show your children how good it feels to give gifts of their own. Kids get so focused or getting, getting, getting. Let them be on the other side for a change. Since they're probably about to get a truckload of new toys, why not tell them to go through their old toys and pick out some to give to a homeless shelter. Teach them about how blessed they are to have gifts and how some people aren't as fortunate. It's a great way to get your kids in the habit of giving back and it helps to prevent them from becoming brats.

Leelou Blogs

Zara's Mommy,
Nadirah Angail

3 comments:

  1. im wit u nadirah - i don't celebrate it either and i really like tha part about teaching children 2 give back - teach them at a young age an it will bcome habit - speaking of which, you've reminded me that i need 2 do some donating as well - u write beautifully - Mash'allah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I have a 2 year old who could care less about anything other than a truck and a paper towel roll. For Hanukkah this year, we mostly just gave him books and contributed to his college fund.

    I love the advice about giving back, too. I want my kid to grow up knowing that our family gives back just as often as we receive.

    In response to your comments on my blog - I'm so glad you found me on SITS! I think your blog is great, too. I'll be back soon, especially knowing there is another MFT/SAHM out there! =)

    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I always appreciate feedback. Keep it coming!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin